- When I was in High School I was dating a girl that I found out later Dad didn't really approve of. One day I was at her house just hanging around and a knock came to the door. We opened it and Dad was standing there. He said very simply.... "I'm on my way home, you had better get there before I do!!!" I beat him home and that was the last time I spent any time with that girl.
- When I was in High School, I can't remember what instigated it, but Dad and I took a Karate class in Scottsdale. It was a bit unusual since Scottsdale is about 3 hours away from our home. So I think we only went once a week. We obviously never really got very good since, it takes a lot more work than a once a week session and neither Dad and I could touch our toes. But it was a great experience for us to do this together. The family has always laughed that we consider this a bonding experience considering that, since neither of us are talkers, we talked VERY little the whole way too and from the class.
- Even though Dad and I had a good relationship when he died, he and I almost never hugged. I think the reason goes back to when I was a kid. I remember, as a little boy, that when we would go to a game or something like together, he would take my hand as fathers do. I felt strength in his hands that I loved. As I got older, when ever I would come back into town we would shake hands rather than embrace and it reminded me of that strength that I always loved. He was a rock for me!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment