Marcia:
"He loved to snow ski and water ski. I think those plus golf were his favorite sports not watched on TV. He was a big cougar fan. When we lived in Provo he NEVER missed a BYU football game."
"When we lived in Ontario, he loved to go night skiing. He would take me, my current boyfriend, and a couple of his students, Bogus had only one night run that was lighted and dad did not know how to turn so he would go into a tuck and go straight down ! You can imagine the mogul he would make when he fell. We all started naming the moguls he made because they were so big and deep they would still be there the next time we went! Lol. He was such a fun loving man. No wonder people were drawn to him!"
Bill:
I remember skiing with him on the Mountain. Sunrise. I think that was where the chair lift hit him one day on the back of the head. Pretty bad bump as I recall.
I don't think I ever played a pickup basketball game with him, that he didn't cheat. Especially, pre-high school. Since he outweighed me, he would just throw me around and it was assumed to not be a foul, ever.
Dad didn't miss very many of my High School basketball games if he missed any. There were a lot of times, that if he couldn't find someone to run the Sawmill, he would just close it down so he could come support me.
Last time I remember Dad playing basketball was when the Sawmill first opened, we had a promotional event where the Sawmill employees and friends played against the local radio station. The whole town was invited. Pretty fun.
Dad played football and ran track in High School. In football, he was a defensive end and offensive wide receiver. I'm assuming he was pretty good. He was voted as the "Homecoming King" in high school. I played one year of football in high school. The only reason I did, since I wasn't very good, was because I knew it was Dad's thing. In track he ran the "high" hurdles. Back then they did have two different heights that people would run. Truck was a very popular sport in the communities back then. When he went to school at ASU he ran on an Intramural track team as well.
He always said that the reason he didn't play Basketball in high school, was because he thought he had skinny legs and didn't want to display them.
Dad loved Golf. He had clubs, the house was decorated with Golf stuff; he loved it. Even though, like me, he really wasn't very good at it. I've seen him break a few windows with his slices and hooks over the years.
No comments:
Post a Comment