Monday, October 6, 2014

Salesman/Teacher/Improvisor....

I am convinced that Dad must have been an amazing salesman....
Even though I have heard the legend of how amazing of a teacher he was from family and former students, I was a bit too young to have a memory of his seminary and institute teaching days.  Marcia will have a better memory of that
However....

- How does a guy with no mechanical skills end up managing an AAMCO shop.  I've heard the stories of him diagnosing customer transmission problems.  What was the name of his foreman? Dad must have been a really good delegator.
- If what I heard was correct, when he moved out to California, he sold some sort of Real Estate.  Is that right?  Unfortunately, he worked for a dishonest relative that robbed him blind, but I hear he was really good.
- Did Dad have any business experience or experience in the food industry to open a restaurant in the little town of Pinetop, Arizona?  Who did he sell that idea to?  How did they even come up with that idea?
- What experience did Dad have to run a landscaping business in St. George?  "Winter-kill!!!!"
- How does a guy that could not weld teach a successful welding course for years at the High school level.  Another example of delegating to those who are capable.  Marcia remembers that he had never welded before he got the job.  Darwin gave him a crash course when he first started.  When his students would ask him to show him how to do something that required welding, he would tell them "if I do it for you, you will never learn for yourself".

No comments:

Post a Comment